Our Ambrosian expert Nicola de’ Grandi recently visited the town of Biasca, about 79 miles to the north of Milan in the Swiss canton of Ticino. There are three valleys in the area known as the Ambrosian valleys, which were under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the archbishop of Milan since at least the sixth century, and consequently celebrated the Ambrosian Rite. Many churches in the area still use the rite to this day, even though they are now part of the diocese of Lugano, which was founded in 1888, and is coterminous with the canton. Biasca was the seat of the principal parish and mother church of the region, originally dedicated to just St Peter, later also to St Paul. The current building is the second church to be built on the site, the result of a reconstruction project begun in the second half of the 12th century.
Modern restorations have removed most of the additions made to the building in later periods, especially the Baroque, and revealed a great amount of fresco work is preserved in fairly good condition, and a very nice wooden ceiling with decorations of the Gothic period. This post of Nicola’s photos will focus on the frescos; a second post will show the Romanesque exterior.The apse is dominated by a fresco of Christ in majesty with the four Evangelists, each accompanied by his traditional symbol. The images of the two bishops on the sides have been deliberately damaged with an awl to make the surface rougher; a second layer of fresco which was placed on top of them has subsequently been removed.




















