Sunday, November 15, 2020

The Collegiate Church of San Gimignano (Part 6): The Museum

We conclude this series on the Collegiate Church of the Assumption in San Gimignano, Italy, with items from the church’s musuem, predominantly a very beautiful collection of sacred vestsments from the 16th-18th centuries. Thanks once again to our Ambrosian writer Nicola de’ Grandi for sharing these with us. For the previous posts in this series, see the following links: part 1part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5.

Crucifix by an unknown Tuscan artist, mid-13th century. As is typical before the later decades of the same century, Christ’s divinity is emphasized by showing Him on the Cross fully clothed, awake, and upright, the creator and sustainer of the world even in the midst of His Passion.
Altar frontal of St Catherine of Alexandria, Tuscan; mid-16th century; red velvet with embroidery in silk and metallic threads.
Cope in grey silk and brocade; Italian, 18th-century.
Dalmatic in red and yellow silk, linen and brocade; Florentine, mid-16th century.
The matching chasuble...
stoles, maniples and veil.
Mid-18th century chasuble, Tuscan manufacture
Venetian chasuble, 1700-25
Florentine chasuble, mid-17th century.
Vincenzo Tamagni (1492-1530); the Virgin Mary Appearing to St Fina, the Patron of San Gimignano, and a Blessed of the Franciscan order named Bartolo (1228-1300), an other native of the city. 
St Martin Shares His Cloak with the Beggar, also by Tamagni.
Sacred Conversatin with the Christ and St John the Baptist, the Virgin Mary and St Anne.
A bust of “Onofrio di Pietro, the restorer of this church”, by the sculptor Benedetto da Maiano, who also did the original tomb of St Fina.
Grave marker of a senator named Venenzio Moronti, mid-15th century.

More recent articles:

For more articles, see the NLM archives: