This weekend saw a celebration of historic proportions here at the parish: the reinterment of our two saints, Magnus and Bonosa. St. Martin's has been home to the full skeletal remains of two third century Roman martyrs since 1901. Their resting places - underneath the two side altars in the front of the church - were in need of repair and therefore the relics needed to be moved to complete that work. The opportunity was taken (with appropriate ecclesiastical approbation) to remove them from their reliquary cases and to undertake a study of the relics themselves. Professor Phillip DiBlasi from the university graciously agreed to do the work. His findings were remarkable. He was able to determine such things as approximate age, stature, and ethnicity. He was even able to tell that Bonosa was right handed. His findings were entirely consistent with the story surrounding their identities and martyrdom.
With the work completed, the task of returning the saints to their resting places in the newly repaired reliquaries remained. This was done on Sunday at the parish's noon Extraordinary Form Mass. A procession with the relics to the sanctuary was followed by a solemn high Mass and then the reinterment in the side altars. The church was filled to capacity (approximately 750 - 800 people) as both parishioners and curious visitors gathered in the church from far and wide. The parish choir provided the beautiful Mass setting of Josquin's Missa Pange Lingua, and a special schola formed by alumni of the former St. Thomas Seminary in Louisville provided the beautifully chanted propers.
You can read more about it on his blog (see link above), but here are a few photos taken by Momentum Studios.