Our thanks once again to Teresa Chisholm, this time for sending in this report on the newest apostolate of the Institute of Christ the King, in the Archdiocese of Detroit. A special first Mass will with some very good music be celebrated tomorrow in the St Joseph Oratory (details in the article and in the poster below); the church has been featured many times in our photoposts for their exemplary Masses in both forms of the Roman Rite.
From the press release: “We are grateful for the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest and the dedication they have to evangelizing through use of the Extraordinary Form,” said Archbishop Vigneron. “The Institute has shown tremendous energy in conveying a sense of the sacred through their ministry around the country and the world. We are especially encouraged that their ministry may also be instrumental in preserving St. Joseph, one of the Archdiocese of Detroit’s most beautiful and historic worship sites.”
St. Joseph Oratory is the Institute’s thirteenth church in the United States. Rev. Canon Michael Stein has been appointed rector, assisted by Deacon Jonathon Fehrenbacher. They will reside in the rectory, a stately building dating to 1896 which has not been home to a priest in over ten years, since St. Joseph was clustered in 2004 and then merged in 2013 with two historic Polish churches in Detroit, St. Josaphat and Sweetest Heart of Mary.
|The rectory and church|
|Rev. Canon Michael Stein and Deacon Jonathon Fehrenbacher arrived in Detroit on October 11.|
St. Joseph was founded in 1855 by German immigrants. The present church, dedicated in 1873, was designed by German-American architect Franz Georg Himpler, whose works include, among others, Ss Peter and Paul in St. Louis (located a mile and a half from the Institute’s St. Francis de Sales Oratory) and St. Francis de Sales in Cincinnati.
|side altar of the Virgin Mary|
|Final Latin Novus Ordo Sunday Mass on October 9|
|side altar of St Joseph|